Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Propagating perfect plants

Thursday 24th December
Here is a shot of some plants I am planning on potting up for the markets.
There are lemon balm, peppermint, mint, two different pig faces, hydrangea and Devils ivy.

I have been doing some reading on the internet about growing cyclamens and growing from seed. From what I have read they prefer a soil ph of 5.5-7.5 (so acidic in a way). Also of note are the number of people saying getting them to flower again is hard and one guy says he throws them out after they finish flowering. This seems an awful waste and mine are going to flower again. I have two as well as the new seedling plant and they have recovered and flowered again before.







I am aware they need temperatures below 20 degrees or so to flower but have heard about just leaving them on side in garden until it cools. I am still watering but from below now as recommended and leave for 10 minutes and then drain away any residual water.



The baby cyclamen seedling.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kas !
    Thanks for reading my blog!!!
    I am a plant lover as well, right now only indoor things as we are buried in snow!My orchids are blooming, and my 'chocolate' one smells heavenly!
    Maybe we can trade info on our plants!
    Claudia Condiff/ All furry critters

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Claudia, I have been slack and did not notice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kas, good luck with your new blog. I look forward to sharing garden experiences with another Aussie. Cheers, catmint

    ReplyDelete